Saturday, February 04, 2006

Going Paperless

I'm currently listening to Eric Mack's Podcast that's on their paperless challenge. Listening to Eric, I'm reminded how I'm feeling about my paperless challenge. The only difference I've heard is that I didn't have second thoughts about becoming paperless, and I've had a very smooth transition from paper to paperless.
I've chose to use OneNote over GoBinder simply because I don't see much difference between them, but the GoBinder seems more simple and limited over OneNote. I can see if you're only using your Tablet for class, but I have used it for all things from Business Clubs, Classes, and even home life.
I haven't been able to figure out how Mind Manager would be a great note taking program. I love Mind Manager for what it offers - Mind Mapping of ideas. I think I spent more time writing my structure for my last thesis in Mind Manager than I did actually writing the thesis. This would help those who have trouble structuring their papers, but that's one thing that I can do well as I write in Word.
I use Adobe Acrobat for PDF creating and OCR. I use OneNote for note-taking and lecture recording. I use PDF Annotator for reading my books and making notes, but I hate the word search. When it does search for a word and finds it, it doesn't highlight it. That's one annoying aspect.

I highly suggest listening to Eric and Tracy's podcasts. I've already learned a trick, when Tracy was discussing comment pages with highlighters.

One quick comment - it's quite funny to listen to all of the soundbites and comments from Eric about using mobile services since they weighed 30 lbs. etc. I was lucky to have had a friend who's father was an engineer for a local radio station. They owned a TRS-80 before they had the 8 inch disks. Through my good friend, I had quite an experience growing up around technology and diving into it. I do remember that his father used packet radio and public bands to create his own "cell phone" where he could always be in contact with his home no matter where he was. Keep it up Eric. You bring out memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home