Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I'm into my third month now...

I feel that I have got the hang of this machine. I know that it’s only been two months since I’ve owned my Fujitsu, but I think I am using my machine to its potential as a student. I’ve recorded lectures, developed a rather simple way to take notes, and used it for review sessions for midterms. Finals are around the corner and I’ve planned on how to study for my finals. I need to incorporate a new method – perhaps the Cornell method.
Rarely do I find myself pulling out the keyboard, but I’m glad that I purchased the leather portfolio case so that when I am doing some excel work or typing up a paper I can find a free spot on campus and still enjoy the laptop mode of the slate. Fujitsu has a nice way of using a laptop mode, but I’ve noticed that I can’t hold the computer in my lap while typing like I could a convertible. I can enjoy the slate’s advantages during class or lecture, while working with a group, and every time I walk to and from school with a backpack that doesn’t weigh 50lbs.
I’ve used a trial of Mind Manager for a marketing paper. I really felt it helped me focus on the structure of the paper, but all I was really doing was the same thing I do when I write any thesis. I was spending more time on the map than I did in the writing. I didn’t dive too deep into Mind Manager, but I felt that if it was going to be used as a note taking program that I’d want options to export all penned notes to a file as well. It may do this, but I didn’t see how.
I’ve used OneNote for most of my note taking. As soon as I loaded it up, it looked pretty much the same as GoBinder as far as how everything had a tab etc. I can honestly say I doubt I’d use another note taking program. It is indispensable in my opinion, especially if you are recording a lecture while taking notes. Every time you ink, there is a link being created to the time in the recorded lecture. If you click on an icon when hovering over the ink, you can listen to that exact moment in the lecture. I find this very good indeed!
I haven’t scanned my books into OneNote. I find that with all of my notes OneNote starts lagging a bit or it hangs on exiting. This is very annoying. I’m not sure if it’s because of a bad load, or if it’s taking its sweet time in saving the audio file or what. All I can say on this is that slates have a distance to go to achieve the technology that will improve the CPU power while keeping the heat down and the battery life extended. I look forward to that day.
I did have to use four pieces of paper yesterday for a lab exercise. Our operations management class all piled into one of the computer science labs and met a gentleman that teaches the university’s SAP class. All I will say is that structure is amazing. I want to look into getting more experience in SAP soon. I will be practicing more when I have free time. Unfortunately, I cannot use my tablet while doing this. Why would I?
With using my tablet for just about everything computer related, I’ve grown fond of my desktop once again. When I received my tablet I was engrossed in sucking up everything I could learn about it like a sponge. I studied the different companies that sell tablet pcs, decided which form of computer to purchase, and even made mind maps in order to learn some of the software that everyone was buzzing about on some of the different forums available out there for tablet pc discussions. I’ve found that doing homework that involves Excel or Access or any other database software is tiresome if you are bending over a big chair to a small table, on the couch bending over to the coffee table, or just on a bench somewhere using your wireless keyboard. There’s comfort in having a 21” computer screen and a full sized keyboard. I feel that soon I’ll be working on a macro system of study and computer use. Technology will keep advancing in ways that are hopefully unpredictable. We will be driven to consistently improve the techniques we have learned to incorporate into our productive lives. I remember making a light pen for my Commodore 64c so that I could draw onto the TV screen. How time has progressed.


One other thing I’ve been using my tablet for is helping my son with his homework or projects. We found ourselves helping him with his science project and coming up with ideas to explain how sound travels through air, solid objects and liquids. He did a great job on it. I’m proud to know he has a huge craving for science. We in America are failing when it comes to progressing science. Most industrialized countries have two times the students graduating with science degrees every year. I’ve taken him to Western Washington University and showed him all of the fossils and stones and artwork that we have on display, and he was amazed that they had a room with the title “Paleontology,” which is what he’s interested in at the time.

“What we need more of is Science.” – Mc Hawking (http://www.mchawking.com/)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bhaltair,
I will be returning to school soon to earn my MBA. I am curious about your technique for recording classes (audio I assume)... Do you use the built in microphone(s) in your tablet or do you use an external mic? If you use an external, would you mind sharing which brand and model you use? Thanks for sharing. Jeff

2:49 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home