Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Finals are Finally Over

Finals are over, and I'm relieved. I can't say whether my tablet was a benefit in total to studying for tests or not, but I can say that it helped and hindered in taking a final for my MIS class.
It took some convincing to allow my professor to allow me to use the tablet during the closed book/open note midterm and final. What really helped was the ability to turn off the wireless (really it was the fact that even though I was in the computer building, it was made out of concrete and there was no signal in the room whatsoever) and that the professor also owned a Fujitsu tablet and was playing with it and figuring out how it works. During the final I used the search function in windows to plow through power points to find some information I needed. This is when I realised one of the limitations to using OneNote or GoBinder - when you print to OneNote etc., it doesn't recognise the text in what you're printing as text - only as a picture. When searching in OneNote, since I left the handwriting as it was and didn't convert to text, the spelling of the word recognition often made the application pass over my notes. Also, the one lengthy page standard of OneNote made scrolling through power points that I had printed to OneNote very tedious. It was very hard to find what I needed by scrolling along 50 pages of info.
I've thought about using Power point and just annotating the slides themselves. This would not allow the recording feature that I love in OneNote, but the notes would be organized much more intelligently while being searchable. If anyone knows how to fix the print to OneNote feature to recognise the text, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
I've also decided that the tablet will go down to Seattle to get repaired. I will not try to replace it. By the time that a slate could offer anything that I wish, I'm sure years will have passed. Although the topic of price is a touchy subject for any tablet owner, I feel besides what I spent on the unit that I can be satisfied with what I have.
I also ran into a problem when loading power points while OneNote was open. For some reason the power points caused OneNote to freeze up and crash after a few minutes, then the power point would load up in one second as usual. The defaults were all set properly and this only happened at that one time.
The wireless problem that I've had (and have posted on the Buzz about) also has been fixed. My Netgear wireless router reset the other day, and this forced me to really try to configure the settings on my tablet correctly. I cannot get WPA or WPA2 to work with the Fujitsu. WEP is the only thing that has any security that will work. I can connect to the router, but I cannot get to the internet. My wife's Acer will connect and go to the internet, but this poor Fujitsu cannot. I still have no idea why not. I spent some time with a Fujitsu tech trying to figure it out, but they will pretty much stop once you get it working on an unsecured / WEP config and tell you to "play around with it" and try to figure it out. I called Netgear, and they are a complete joke. For my $79 router, they want me to pay over $30 a phone call after my purchase date is over 30 days away. Not only that, but they outsource to India. Try talking about passwords when it's "W like whale" etc. Blah. I'm usually OK with outsourcing, but when it's services for what I've paid for, I have a problem with that.


Well, that's it for now. I have to get my son going for school this morning. I'll post or link about a function I attended last night dealing with reproductive rights and scientific and medically accurate education in schools. All I can say for now is that if you're a fundie, you're my enemy. I'm so sick of religious people limiting and walking over the rights of my children and I just so you can live in a world of your making. I don't walk on your rights, and you'd better not walk on mine. One out of a hundred people that attended this speech which was totally nonpartisan and unireligious got so upset by listening to a story of a gal that was highly educated in a home school environment but not in sexuality and responsibility that was "thrown to the wolves" by her parents by leaving her unprepared for her first encounter with a boy that was interested in her at a party. The lady was so irate, as I could tell by her fidgeting, discussions with everyone around her during the presentation, and the way she made a complete boob out of herself by challenging stats from our own government when it comes to our STI, HIV, teen pregnancy, and age of first sexual encounter.
I'm completely floored at what people put their attention to, and what they totally ignore.
I hate to say this, but people of blind faith are my enemy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bhaltair,

I live in Australia where fundamentalist religion isn't so full on. However, there is still a lot of ignorance created around fear of the world, in religious communities, which does seem to get in the way of their abilities to deal with the bollocks of the world and limits scope for insight (generally speaking). Certainly the level of uptightness is uncomfortable to be around.

Anyhow, I thought you might like to watch this excellent Channel9 video interview with two primary people in the OneNote team:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=83471

Chris Pratley also has a blog which is interesting and you might like to establish a dialog with him on some core gripes and also insights.

Regards,

Nick.

11:40 PM PST  
Blogger Bhaltair said...

I've been watching some great programming from Channel 4 in the UK. There are a few documentaries, especially how the baptist fundamentalists are invading their world. While watching, I saw the exact same PACEs that I learned from in middle school (Private, christian of course). I'll make sure to check those out - thank you for the tip.

There's some preliminary talk about some of the parties that plan on running for the next presidency.
One of these guys are running on "christian" values, including the anti "gay agenda" that's out for our citizens. This is a scary world. There are people using fallacy ridden messages and actually wish to teach creation in public schools.

1:14 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my country, there's an all out war going on. It has been happening since I can remember, but since Bush has been elected into office, he's had to pay his voters with some changing of the guard. Not only does he pander to the "Christian" vote, but he must pay out for it as well. People such as Pat Robertson (who is about as unchristian as you can get if you truly believe in the Bible) and James Dobson (who was on the radio often when I was a child in our household) have direct lines to the republican party and the white house. Our country is slowly being courted by the Christian agenda once again. I've heard claims about how they made the country and how our forefathers were Christian (most were actually deists if you truly study history) and how some commie bastards came in to take over the country. I truly have an insight to these people since I was raised that way. If you think Baptists are strict, you haven't met where I've come from. My family is non-denominational, although they have become a flavor of Christianity that is strictly following the passages in the Bible.

Like you have been hearing about, the U.K. and E.U. have been complaining about fundamentalist Christians invading Europe. I've seen news posts about it, and Channel 4 in U.K. has hosted some documentaries about Faith and Intelligent Design and religious radicals who are moving in and willing to get on camera to defend themselves. I've seen how they act and believe, and my message to the U.K. is watch out. Remember the Puritans? They were on the sheepish side of things when compared with some of these fundamentalists from the U.S.A. I've seen mention of believing that there should be a judgment of death for those who commit homosexuality and adultery. That'd be fair they said. That would be just. I ask simply, that is what would be moral? If that's the party of "Morality," all you have to do is actually watch something other than FOX news or any of these very right wing papers and actually open your eyes. Most of these guys are the biggest crooks and fascists that I've ever seen. Like I said, I understand this because I was one before I started to question life and actually question the "story" of the Bible.
I was always into science, because that actually tests theories. Scientific Method should be the root of any test, regardless of the medium.
I watched "The Root of All Evil," produced by Richard Dawkins, a Professor at Oxford. There's a part in the documentary that speaks of the "Baptist" schools and faith that has been invading London. During that part, I saw the exact thing that I attended while I was a child. P.A.C.E.S or little books that you read on your own and answer questions in the book. The tests are open book tests. You MUST get 90% or above, because that's what the school markets as a method of a higher scoring academics. However, you were able to go and study the question that you got wrong and re-answer it. It was that simple. The whole message was given to you with biblical talk, biblical stories, biblical everything. I went into this school for 3 years. When I went in, I was higher than average in mathematics. When I exited to go to high school, I was tested as below 9th grade math. There was no algebra for middle school children in this style of schooling. They still believe in Creation, and that's what they actually teach.

All I know is all you have to do for information on any of these people is simply to read about them. There are many sources to see if you see this as a march for god's warriors or if you see this as a few evil people controlling many sheep simply for power and votes.
I've studied science and I've loved every moment of it. I've also seen a handful of creationists and intelligent design students and friends that I've had many discussions with. They cannot hold a light to any sort of truth simply because they never actually study anything scientifically.

10:44 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new feature in OneNote 2007: Text Recognition in Images. Maybe that'll fix the powerpoint slide searching? ;)

3:46 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home